Shirodhara comes from two sanskrit words, shiras (forehead) and Dhara (flow). This treatment was developed by vaidyas (practitioners of Ayurveda) in Kerala, India, and was used as a sukhachikitsa (restorative therapy). Shirodhara is also used as one of the steps in Pancha Karma. The liquids used in Shirodhara depend on what is being treated, and can include oil, milk, buttermilk, and coconut water. The herbalised oil or medicated milk is poured gently and slowly over the forehead. This procedure helps to improve cognitive function allowing you to feel invigorated, peaceful, with a clear and calm mind. Shirodhara profoundly coordinates and calms the mind, body and spirit. As most Ayurvedic Therapies have their impact on the physical and energy sheaths of the subtle body system, Shirodhara most effectively purifies the mental sheath, promoting a calm and balanced state of the mind.
Benefits of Shirodhara:
• Shirodhara is a beneficial treatment for various conditions such as: Insomnia,
neurological disorders, stress, eye diseases, memory loss, vertigo.
• It is a gentle yet effective treatment which stimulates blood circulation to the
• Shirodhara alleviates fatigue lack of vitality, improves memory and restores
equilibrium of doshas (Vata, Pitta, Kapha).
• Shirodhara works primarily on the mental sheath or "manomaya kosha" as it is
referred to in Ayurveda. Shirodhara helps in clearing mental fog and calms the
The duration of the treatment is 50 minutes but we recommend allowing at least 5-10 minutes relaxation after this blissful treatment so that you can enjoy some calm and quiet moments before you leave.
Controlled flow of warm oil (or other liquid) is gently poured over the ajan marmani (ajana chakra) or third eye. The oil then streams down the crown of the head (sahasrara chakra), which magnifies the senses, disperses negative electrical impulses that accumulate in the forehead because of stress, reverses imbalances within the body and rejuvenates the face and calms the nervous system.
What you require before and after the treatment:
• Top with the zipper or button up shirt.
• Hat for after treatment and warm clothing.
• Your clothes should be very casual as you might get oil on them.
After care advice (highly recommended):
• After treatment cover the head with a hat or scarf.
• Avoid taking shower for at least 2 hours after treatment.
• Avoid watching TV or working on a computer for the minimum of 3-4 hours after
treatment and if possible all that day.
• Do not expose yourself into rain and cold weather. Keep warm and rest.
• No physical activity is recommended after Shirodhara, it is best to remain quiet
and rest for the remainder of the day.
If an individual has a calm state of mind, that person's attitudes and views will be calm and tranquil even in the presence of great agitation.His holiness the Dalai Lama