Human beings are made of body, mind and spirit.
Of these, spirits is primary,
For it connects us to the source of everything,
The eternal fields of consciousness.
Dr. Deepak Chopra
Marman*or Meridan Points
Marmans are vital energy points located at anatomical sites where muscles, veins, ligaments, tendons, bones or joints intersect. Marman points are vital because they are infused with prana, the life force and are deeply influenced by consciousness. As Dr Lad explains, "marmani serves as a bridge or doorway between the Body (sharira), Mind (manas) and Soul (atman)".
The Sanskrit word Marman is driven from a Sanskrit root “mar” which means there is possibility of death or serious damage to health. If these points are afflicted, for example Marman related to the heart, or testicles, their damage can cause instant death.
Ayurveda believes that human body is made of ever changing dynamic of energy and intelligence which is interrelated to the larger and vaster field of energy and intelligence of the universe.
According to Aurvedic texts the human body has 117 Marman points, however some traditions believe that there are only 108 Marman points in the body.
Sushruta Samitha in his classic Ayurvedic text mapped out these points in detail. All these points cover both the front and back of the body. They include:
• Face (Mukha) and head (Shiro) - 28 marmani
• Back of the head (Shiro) and neck (Civa) - 5 marmani
• Front of neck (Jatru Urdhva) - 6 marmani
• Ear (Karna) - 4 marmani
• Chest (Urah) - 11 marmani
• Abdominal (Udara) - 12 marmani
• Bck (Prushtha) - 10 marmani
• Arm (Bahu) - 9 marmani
• Hnad (Hasta) - 9 marmani
• Thighs (Sakthi) - 14 marmani
• Foot (Pada) - 6 armani
Ayurvedic Marman Therapy
The knowledge of human body and these vital energy points was an important aspect in vedic period, these points were used in wars to treat soldiers and prevent death. In Ayurvedic Marman Chikitsa (Marman Therapy) massage use clockwise and counter clockwise massaging movements to unblock the energies held up in the joints.
Marman are similar to acu-pressure points and are treated using finger pressure and massage which helps the doshas to return to their natural state and allows the energy to flow naturally throughout the body.
The Marman chikitsa or therapy is about 60 minutes and usually followed by a steam bath.
Benefits of Marman chikitsa or therapy
• Through the right use of marmani our entire physical and mental energy can be consciously increased decreased or redirected in a
transformative manner. Similar to acu-pressure points using finger pressure and massage
• At marman sites toxins, stress and negative emotions get lodged and are held sometimes for years. Relieving pain, blockage or swelling at
marman sites is an important therapeutic aid and one of the first stages of many Ayurvedic treatments.
• Aids healing and disease prevention
• Balances the doshas (energy lines)
* Marman is the singular form and Marmani the plural. In today use, people use the term Marma.