To keep the body in good health is a duty, otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.
Abhyanga is the distinctive Ayurvedic massage that is performed by using individually prepared herbal oil remedies which are carefully chosen in accordance to one’s specific body constitution, impurities and imbalances. Abhyanga is beneficial in many ways as it deeply penetrates the skin, and relaxes the mind and body. It encourages the absorption of impurities by stimulating the arterial, venous and lymphatic circulations. As a result, Abhyanga enhances the delivery of nutrients to the cells and removes the stagnant waste (ama) that is in the body. Furthermore, it helps in the movement of the ten vayus, which allow eliminating the blockage in the nadis (subtle energy in the body). Once the nadis paths are clear, healing on both physical and spiritual levels can be manifested easier within the body.
Abhyanga is performed either by one or two therapists. The stroke of this form of massage differs for each individual. Traditionally, this technique was used in pancha karma in order to detoxify the body.
Some of traditional benefits of Abhyanga treatments include:
• Removes fatigue and stress from work and life overall and Relieves insomnia.
• Stimulates antibody production and thus strengthens the immune system.
• Reverses, prevents aging and increases longevity.
• Oil rubbed into the skin prevents dehydration and strengthens the nerves.
• Body becomes firm and free from disturbances of vata - that otherwise
prematurely age the body and cause pain.
• Body parts are trimmed and skin becomes silky soft.